According to a recent survey commissioned by the United Kingdom-based company Staples and conducted by independent research agency Arlington Research, the problem is widespread and affecting employees across Europe.
Thirty-two percent of office workers said that “better lighting would make them happier at work,” according to the survey. Meanwhile, 40% said the lighting in their office was uncomfortable. And 80% of UK office workers said their office’s lighting was important to them.
WHY THE LIGHT IS SO THAT IMPORTANT?
Lighting can have a lot of different effects:
- Fluorescent lights can even be a reason some employees suffer from migraines at work.
- Low dimming light, lack of light exposure can lead to serious mood changes and contribute to seasonal affective disorder.
- Inappropriate color temperature leading to decreased productivity, etc.
HOW CAN WE IMPROVE THE LIGHT?
Poor lighting can cause eye strain and headaches, so make sure you have ample light over your work area.
Here are few tips you can do:
- Have a appropriate lighting level, a right brightness, with correct color rending index
- Make the light more flexible
- Reduce blue light
- Take advantage of natural light as much as you can
Video credit: Lighting Research Center